Nassau Board of Cooperative Educational Services Joins Forces with PM Behavioral Health, Bringing Services to Long Island Schools
The Country’s Largest Pediatric Urgent Care Now Offers Its One-Of-A-Kind School Mental Health Consultation and Crisis Program to Nassau County Schools
Long Island, NY – March 22, 2023 – Nassau County’s Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) has contracted with PM Pediatric Care, the largest specialized pediatric urgent care group in the US, to offer Long Island schools behavioral health services including its PM School Mental Health Consultation and Crisis Program (SMHCP). Through the agreement, PM Pediatric Care will provide evidence-based, patient-centered mental health services to school districts, including crisis intervention, in order to support students as they strive to meet their educational goals. PM Pediatric Care’s Behavioral Health team of seasoned mental health specialists work collaboratively with school counseling teams to determine the best approach for each individual student and focus on continued care for consistent guidance to help students thrive.
“Continuity of care is what truly sets the PM School Mental Health Consultation and Crisis Program apart from other crisis centers offered within school systems,” said Jeanne Marconi, MD, Vice President Clinical Integration at PM Pediatric Care. “Other programs may help a student, then move on, while our highly specialized program will ensure that the student remains connected to a local mental health resource so they receive the consistent care they need.” Dr. Marconi continued, “Our community behavioral health program is often appropriate for these students and we will make every effort, with parental consent, to continue their care with one of our locally-based behavioral health providers.”
Through this agreement, The PM School Health will provide Long Island schools with four tiers of behavioral health services:
- Universal Screening – Universal or targeted student body screening for social-emotional and behavioral concerns that may not otherwise be uncovered. Same day/next day evaluation is offered for those that are high-risk. During this evaluation, the PM team will support connecting the student to ongoing care when necessary.
- Parent Coaching – Individualized parent coaching to support parent/guardians in helping their children meet their educational goals. When parents are involved and reinforcing goals in the home, students have a better chance of success and of meeting their IEP objectives.
- Mental Health Education – Virtual professional-led webinars for parents, teachers, school staff, and/or students.
- Assessment, Intervention, Referral (AIR) – Students are referred to this intervention program by school counselors, teachers, or administrators. When the needs of the student exceed the counseling services available at the school, the PM staff can provide the therapeutic treatment they need.
- Students may participate in 4-6 virtual, mental health visits with a licensed mental health provider, consisting of a comprehensive intake with parent participation.
- Students receive therapy and treatment modalities for a wide range of conditions including anxiety, stress, behavioral problems, peer to peer relationship building, sadness and conflict resolution.
- Students either graduate from the program or are referred to community resources for continuity of care.
- School Mental Health Consultation & Crisis Program (SMHCP) – Same day/next day crisis consultation and management for students who are referred to PM by school staff. The crisis specialist will help the school determine the best next steps and will schedule same day/next day appointments for an in-person, comprehensive biosocial intake evaluation.
- This program guarantees access to PM’s psychopharmacology team for virtual medication management visits, if needed.
- Space for all in-district families is guaranteed for continuation of care.
For more information about the School Mental Health Consultation and Crisis Program and for participation inquiries, please contact: Jeanne Marconi, MD, Vice President Clinical Integration, email@example.com, 516-207-7911 or Emily Waiser, Operations Manager, PM School health, firstname.lastname@example.org, 516-207-7849. For more on PM Behavioral Health, please visit pmpediatriccare.com/behavioral-health/.